Online Woodwind Lessons with Downingtown Music Academy
Students 9 and up are welcome to take woodwind lessons. My studio is open to children, teens and adults of all ages! I can teach Eb Clarinet, Bb clarinet, bass clarinet, soprano saxophone, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone or flute. Beginners will learn how to read music fluently, develop correct technique, proper tone, and instrument care during the lessons, while intermediate and advanced students will expand their technical skills through the study of repertoire, learning everything from classical to popular music. Techniques to better understand how music is structured are emphasized so students can read a piece more quickly and with detail.
- Students are welcome to record lessons for their review and to remember assignments.
- Method books are the foundation for study. Beginners will utilize band method books then progress to instrument specific methods, etude books and solo repertoire.
- I strongly support school music programs. Students will be asked each week if they need assistance in their ensemble classes, assignments, and audition preparation.
- As students progress, I recommend opportunities for students to perform – Solo & Ensemble competitions, honor bands, college instrument days, youth bands & orchestras, music camps and seminars. These outside opportunities help to enrich the students’ band and/or orchestra experience!
- Scales and articulation studies are emphasized, with particular attention paid when in preparation for a competition or audition.
- Strong emphasis is placed on music theory skills and sight-reading which help students become more fluent, independent musicians. Music is like learning to read a foreign language at first! Practice makes perfect.
- Jazz studies and concepts are an option for study. I am a performing jazz musician and can assist with ensemble preparation, repertoire, and techniques.
- Students are taught about the lives and writing styles of various composers alongside the music they learn and invited to watch video performances of their compositions.
- I encourage all students to participate in chamber ensembles. I incorporate duets and other small ensemble pieces in my lessons. Even online, I program duets and encourage students to develop their chamber music skills.
- Lastly, I like to have fun! While there is a lot to learn, I enjoy working on music that the student is interested in learning. I am a big supporter of marching band and am delighted to help students learn and prepare music for their bands. If there is a special interest in a particular genre of music, I am open to assist in finding music and exploring the repertoire
WOODWIND LESSON MONTHLY RATES
- 30 min: 180 a month
- 60 min: 320 a month
- 30 min: 100 a month
- 60 min: 160 a month
We have designated makeup Days at the end of each month on the 29-31.
PAY AS YOU GO RATES
Students who are unable to pay monthly or schedule a recurring weekly time slot may participate in pay as you go. It is the responsibility of the student to schedule lessons with the teacher on a weekly basis. This form of scheduling does not guarantee a weekly lesson slot.
- 30 minutes: 50 dollars per lesson
- 60 minutes: 90 dollars per lesson
What Makes a Good Music Teacher?
Your child’s music education is important to you. You want to know that your investment is worth it. But what makes a good music teacher? Guess no more. If your teacher has these qualities, you’re in good hands. Is flexible with their teaching style. A good...
How to Work on Harmonizing with Singing
Recently I’ve been asked by a few of my students who sing with local bands if they could have help with working on harmonies and backup vocals. I have a few pointers to work on harmonizing with singing when learning how to develop your harmonization skills as a...
Three Questions to Make Sure You Know the Answer to BEFORE Your Vocal Audition
Auditioning for a performance, choir, or college can be a scary thing. One thing that can make it even more terrifying is finding yourself unprepared. Knowing the answers to the following (sometimes unanticipated) questions before you audition can alleviate stress....
Premium Pricing: Your Instant Way to Increase Profit in Your Business and Create More Boundaries
Today I was visiting with a business owner who told me of her frustration getting last-minute cake orders. She lamented that it was taking her away from pre-planned family time, leading to disorganized staff communication and turning her day upside down. She blushed...
What is Perfect Pitch? And How do I Get It?
Recently I came across this question with a student in a lesson. Apparently, she had been “screaming the name of a note” in her head while I was searching for a key on the piano. She said, “this is an off-topic question, Miss Rosalind, but what exactly is perfect...
Monday – Thursday: Extended Lesson Times